Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What truly matters to you?

A woman, feeling frustrated and overwhelmed by her demanding boss, asks the latter one day, “Are you going to die tomorrow?”

Taken aback by her question, he asks her why she had asked such a curious question.

“Well, the hours that you’ve worked and the way you’ve always said everything is urgent, it’s as if you’re trying to do everything you can before you die,” she answers truthfully.

In order to appear unfazed, her boss answers arrogantly, “Well, supposing yes, I AM going to die tomorrow. Now, will you please do what I’m asking you to?”

“Well, then. Supposing you ARE going to die tomorrow, are you telling me that this is the most important thing that would have mattered to you?” The woman persists.

“Yes,” he answers.

“Alright then. If you say this is what matters most to you, I’ll respect a dying man’s wishes. But, in future, if I tell you that I won’t be able to work during weekends because I would like to help my children with their homework, visit my elderly parents, celebrate my best friend’s birthday or shop for Christmas dinner, would you please ask me the same question and respect my dying wishes as I have of yours?”

No comments:

Post a Comment