Monday, March 22, 2010

Who says there’re some things that just don’t change?

Sitting in my car, driving slowly through traffic, these thoughts came to my mind.

At 33, I am at that age where I've lived through the 70s, 80s, 90s, the turn of the 21st century and now. This means, I've lived in an era where there were no portable computers, internet and a time when Mom used to do everything herself without the help of Kitchen Aid or super nanny.

Here are some scenarios to illustrate the change of time.

On catching up with old friends

Our parents' time:

"It's been a long time since I've seen Muthu. Remember how he used to ponteng class? I wonder whether we should give him a call and arrange for a get together?"

Now:

"Aiyah! No needlah. Just add him as your friend in Facebook and you can find out everything that's going on in his life from there. No need to waste time and money to meet up."

On dating

Our parents' time:
"Eee!! Don't wantlah. All these match-making and blind-dating is so old fashion. How will I know whether he's handsome or not?"

Now:

"I think I'm falling in love with this guy I met on the internet last year."
"Wow! That's great. So, he didn't disappoint you when you finally meet?"
"No, no, I've not met him but his profile photo is so cute and he's so funny online!"

On TV soap opera (but now it's called series)

Our parents' time:

"Hey, tomorrow night is no good! It's Man in the Net. Very exciting episode and I'm dying of suspense.” 

Now:

"I watched 4 seasons of Sex and the City over the weekend and when I couldn't get up for work on Monday, I just called in sick."

On writing:

Our parents' time:

"Your son's penmanship is superb. There's so much character and elegance to it. You know, you can tell a lot about a person from his handwriting."

Now:

"Wow, this is lovely! Is it Trebuchet or Tahoma?"

No comments:

Post a Comment