Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 1: Transit in Incheon International Airport, Seoul

From the sky over Seoul

I’ve learned one thing today: No matter how much you think you’re prepared, you’re never 100% prepared.

Left the apartment at around 8pm in an absolute rush to get to the airport by 9pm. Flight on Korean Air was to depart KLIA at 11:30pm. I initially thought I would have time  to drop by at the post office and then picked up my dry cleaning, but I ended up failing to say goodbye to my cat.

Picture top left: Aerial view over Seoul, South Korea.

No matter how much one has travelled, there is this always this nagging anxiety of something dreadful about to happen: What if the car break down and I miss my flight? What if I left my passport at home? What if I left my purse at home and I have to pay for excess baggage? Wait…how am I going to survive a foreign country without any money or plastics with me?

Well, thankfully, none of these happened to me. Thanks to hubby who tried his best to get me prepared.

Korean Air was interesting. I find the service most efficient. The stewardesses were quick to collect used plastic cups soon after they served the usual water or juices. What I am not accustomed to was the fact that the airline did not serve food until 1 1/2 hours before arrival at Seoul!

Instead, as soon as everyone was settled, the stewardess announced duty free shopping immediately. The duty free catalogue is easily the size of a double edition of Marie Claire magazine. Perhaps shopping is a huge Korean tradition. While roaming around Incheon Airport, I can’t help but feel as if I am in Suria KLCC. I’ve never seen such a large concentration of designer clothing lines; i.e. Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Bvlgari, Salvatore Ferragamo, etc. in one small place!

DesignerDesigner2

Designer3

So, now I’m here sitting at the rest lounge waiting for my 3-hour transit to Washington DC. I think I spent my time quite well. Had some time to do a brief cultural activity of making Korean key chain, had my Korean hot breakfast and blog.

Picture bottom left: Free session on how to make Korean key chain at the Korean Traditional Cultural Experience Centre, Incheon International Airport.

Picture bottom right: A Korean doll at the same centre.

Key chainKorean doll

It’s 30 minutes before boarding time and I think it’s time to go. Can’t wait to catch up on movies on the flight.

2 comments:

  1. very cool! post pictures to when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just took a lovely walk around the city. The weather is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete